- Quiet afternoons spent out back reading in the sun, (or dappled shade). Hmm… I’m sure I heard a bear, but I can’t see him. Can you?
- … or watering the jungle that my garden has become
- Fresh cut flowers from my very own garden…especially the ones planted there from seed. Miracles of a sort.
- Homegrown cherries! We got a handful this year from our young tree that dukes it out with the deer every spring. And another handful from the wild cherry tree that sprang up in the old compost pile…
- Making Currant Jelly from our own bush…
to go on hot homemade bread from home ground wheat. Next time we’ll try grinding our own homegrown wheat!
We just discovered we could thresh it ourselves! (Thanks to Rachel’s perseverance!)
- Getting to make one more childhood cake, for the 19 year old that loves teddy bears still…
- Evening bike rides when the sun has simmered down and there’s no rush to be anywhere…or to beat any KOM’s (‘King of the Mountain’ on STRAVA). Time to stop at the wharf and strike up acquaintances while the ferry comes in over the shimmering sea…
- And did I say FLOWERS?! more fresh cut flowers? brought inside to celebrate summer (and a birthday)?!!
- Ahh and blueberries. I love picking blueberries, especially with daughters. It’s been extraordinarily and wonderfully SUNNY and HOT this month and the blueberries have loved it as much as I. So in record time this morning we had our gallons of berries (from a local U Pick)…
…and in just a little more time we had a pie!
We weren’t the only ones looking forward to a bite. As we were happily downing pie a la mode, who should we spy through the screen door, emerging from the woods out back, but a hungry bear. He must have sniffed it through the open door and come venturing to see if there was any for him!
He seems to have taken up residence in our little wood this year, but I generally yell and flail before I think to catch a picture. This time, before we scared him away, I popped out the door for a picture!
Fortunately, he was more afraid of me than I of him. I got my picture but he got no pie.
Ahh, the wonderful business of summer!